~ Boy Dies After Being Struck By Lightning ~
A 17-year-old coconut seller identified as Emmanuel Doli died after he was struck by Lightning with two other persons currently hospitalized.
Doli, a former student of the Sokode Senior High Technical School, was selling coconut at Bankoe, a suburb of Ho in the Volta Region, Ghana, when he was struck.
Two other two victims who were struck by lightning were rushed to the hospital by the National Ambulance Service.
However, the body of Emmanuel was abandoned at the scene “over fears of the gods”.
Some opined that the coconut he was selling might have been ‘stolen, which is why he was struck.’
However Selasi Kwao, the deceased’s brother dispelled the rumours.
“The coconut was plucked at our family house at Sokode Bagble. The coconut tree belongs to our uncle, and he was aware we were plucking some of the coconuts.
“I personally climbed the tree to pluck it. I plucked them from 6 trees.
“My brother who is dead now did not climb the tree. I even paid some people who helped in climbing with me. I only sent him to come and sell them.”
Mother of the boy, Rejoice Kwao, who couldn’t control her tears, narrated how she heard about his son’s demise.
“They have been selling coconut for some time now. But today I was at work when I received a call about lightning striking my son. I came here only to see the boy on the floor lifeless. My brother takes care of coconuts for people, so they pluck from him also. But I don’t know what happened here today. There has never been a problem in his selling. I’m still shocked and can’t understand this happening.”