~ Wike To Back Tinubu In 2023 Presidential Election ~
Following his defeat at the People Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential primaries, Rivers state Governor Nyesom Wike has resolved to throw his weight behind the Presidential ambition of former Lagos State Governor, Bola Tinubu, POLITICS NIGERIA reports.
Wike, who emerged second in the race to clinching the party’s ticket, lost to former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, who polled 371 votes against the River Governor’s 237 on Saturday.
Also, former senate president Bukola Saraki came third after he garnered votes of 70 delegates while Governor Udom trailed behind him with 38 votes.
Pundits believe that Wike’s loss at the poll was as a result of the last-minute alliance between Aminu Tambuwal, Sokoto State Governor and Abubakar. The former declared support for the latter at the 11th hour.
But Wike, according to multiple sources familiar with internal workings, will not be supporting PDP as expected. Rather, he will support Tinubu, a Presidential hopeful, who stands a chance to clinch the ticket under the All Progressives Congress, APC.
Sources attributed this to the outcome of the Saturday election, noting that the Rivers state Governor is at war with fellow south-south governors, whom he believes contributed to his defeat.
“As far as I’m concerned, there is nothing to worry about. I contested that election based on the agreement with all the Southern Governors and the leaders of the South that the presidency should go to the South.
“We have done our own part. We never betrayed anybody because it is not in our blood to betray. But it is a shame to those people, some governors from the South who are the people they used to sabotage our victory. But however, we have shown them that we are not like them,” the Rivers Governor had said on Monday.
Another source explained that prior to Saturday, there is an unwritten agreement between Tinubu and Wike, which states that the latter will support the former should he lose in the primaries.
According to this source, Wike, like some Governors who have a clandestine agreement with the APC leaders, has promised to deliver South South, which is his stronghold, to Tinubu.
Also, Tinubu’s agreement with Wike is to enable him ’cause problems’ for Rotimi Amaechi, one of his contenders in the APC Presidential primaries. This is evidenced by Wike’s subliminal support for Senator Magnus Abe, who is an opponent to Amaechi and currently battling him for the structure of the APC in Rivers state.
It should be noted that Amaechi, who is currently the minister of Transportation, is an arch rival of Wike.
Some bigwigs in the Peoples Democratic Party have already got a hold of Wike’s move and have commenced resolution talks. Part of this was the visit of Abubakar at Wike’s residence on Monday.
The Ikwerre born Politician has in the past expressed praise for the Lagos Political Leader adding that he would never “say or do anything to malign the hard-earned reputation of the elder statesman.”
- Candidates Selected For the Nigerian Navy Recruitment Examination In 2022 | NNBTS Batch 34
- What Peter Obi Said When Asked What Is The Difference Between Him And Atiku In Terms Of Ideology
- BREAKING NEWS IN NIGERIA TONIGHT
- BREAKING NEWS IN NIGERIA THIS MORNING MONDAY 26TH SEPTEMBER 2022
- Why Is That When It’s The Turn Of South East, They Realised Zoning Arrangement Won’t Work?- Farotimi
- Shehu Sani Reveals What He Saw After Visiting One Of The Deserted Stations Of The Abuja-Kaduna Train
- 2023 Election: Northern Elders Forum Will Not Vote Based On Where A Candidate Comes From – Baba-Ahmed
- I Was Told That Even After Awolowo Was Stoned In Aba, He Urged Yorubas To Work With Igbos – Farotimi
- Unidentified Lady Steals An 8-Day-Old Baby From Bauchi Hospital After Disguising Herself As A Staff
- Your Mental Help Needs Rest & Repair – Chacha Eke tells Mr. P, Blessing CEO & Others React
- ASUU/FG Face-off: Litigation, Recipe For Long-drawn Battle — Parents, NANS
- Joe Igbokwe Replies Man Who Said Arrested Abuja Kidnapper, Iyon Is A Member Of The APC
- Black Sunday: Deadly Accident In Lagos Claimed The Lives Of Seven Persons
- A Prostitute And Her Customer Were Found Naked At The Site Of The Lagos Building Collapse— Official
- BREAKING NEWS IN NI GERIA THIS MORNING SATURDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER 2022
- What I Did When An African Leader Amended The Constitution To Extend His Tenure- Obasanjo
- 2023 Presidentcy: Apex Igbo Body Reveal Why They Have Not Endorsed Peter Obi
- A 37-Year-Old Man Was Arrested For Locking His Girlfriend In A Hotel Room And Sexually Molested Her
- 13 States PDP Has Never Lost In Presidential Elections Since 1999
- Npower Latest News On Payment of July, August & September Stipends Today Saturday, September 24, 2022
Politics2 weeks ago
Soludo Reveals The People Behind The Attack On Ifeanyi Uba
Breaking News2 weeks ago
Festus Keyamo Reacts To Video Of Tinubu Bending Down To Greet Orji Uzor Kalu’s Mother
Education4 months ago
Aksu Student, Idara S€xtape Surface Online (Watch full Video)
Politics4 weeks ago
Bola Tinubu, Shettima And Lalong Hold A Meeting At APC National Secretariat [Photos]
Breaking News2 weeks ago
The International Leader Of Fulani, Emir Sanusi Holds meeting With UN Assistant Secretary [Photos]
Breaking News3 weeks ago
Many Told Us The SE Can Never Go The Way Of The NE -Aisha Says As Insecuty Gripples SE
Breaking News5 months ago
2023: Primate Ayodele reveals Names of Aspirants that won’t be President [LIST]
Breaking News4 weeks ago
Wike Tackles Atiku, Insist PDP National Chairman Must Resign