~ Atiku Considers Three PDP Firms As VP Candidate ~
The search for the Vice of PDP’s flagbearer, Atiku Abubakar, the opposition candidate for the 2023 presidential election, is on.
The former Vice President emerged as the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) flagbearer last weekend in Abuja, the nation’s capital.
Atiku, from Adamawa, was declared the winner after polling 371 votes to defeat closest rival, Governor Nyesom Wike.
The Rivers helmsman got 237 votes; ex-Senate President Bukola Saraki, 70; Akwa Ibom Governor Udom Emmanuel, 38.
Bauchi Governor, Bala Mohammed scored 20 votes, while former Senate President, Anyim Pius Anyim secured 14.
Less than 48 hours after the primary, Atiku visited other contestants for peace-building and reconciliation.
The Wazirin Adamawa, accompanied by close associates, sought their support to defeat the All Progressives Congress (APC) next February.
In 2015, the party dethroned the PDP which had been in power since the return to democracy, resulting in the emergence of the President Muhammadu Buhari government.
The primary of the APC, also slated for Abuja, will be held in three days’ time. With all eyes on the ruling platform, the Atiku camp too is waiting to see where the ticket will swing.
The retired Customs chief, who could have again picked Peter Obi as his running mate, is looking towards the South-East and South-South.
Atiku selected Obi after the 2014 Port Harcourt primary but the ex-Anambra Governor is now Labour Party (LP) presidential candidate. He dumped the PDP days before the national convention.
Sources disclosed that the former VP might have pruned his shortlist to three – Governors Emmanuel, Ifeanyi Okowa (Delta), and ex-Imo Governor Emeka Ihedioha.
Both in second term, Emmanuel and Okowa are considered to have performed above average and would certainly get the support of their colleagues.
Not only that, they have a calm demeanor and are in charge of oil-rich states. This means they can go into the election with a massive war chest, a major plus in Nigerian politics.
However, the position may tilt towards Ihedioha, a former House of Representatives Deputy Speaker (DS), due to a number of factors.
First: Atiku may consider the South-East again. Second: No one from the region has been President or Vice since 1999. Third: Obi’s votes would split with an Igbo man as PDP VP hopeful. Fourth: Ihedioha is regarded as a politician with a clean record. Fifth: His time as a lawmaker and DS will enable him to liaise with the National Assembly.
But the sixth reason is perhaps why many pundits believe he may emerge. Ihedioha is Governor Aminu Tambuwal’s right hand man.
Their relationship dates back decades but blossomed between 2011 and 2015 when Tambuwal and Ihedioha were House Speaker and Deputy.
Dailypost gathered that the Sokoto chief executive already shortlisted his friend as first choice running mate.
Tambuwal’s withdrawal at the primary helped Atiku clinch PDP’s 2023 ticket and it is unlikely that the flagbearer will deny him the slot if he insists.
In fact, who becomes the vice presidential candidate was reportedly part of the Atiku-Tambuwal decisive last minute pact at the convention ground.
“Ihedioha is very qualified to occupy any position in the land. He has built capacity, loyalty and competence around himself.
“He has also shown that he is a worthy friend. But for now, most of the things you hear are speculations. The right decisions will be taken at the right time”, a PDP chieftain said.
- Candidates Selected For the Nigerian Navy Recruitment Examination In 2022 | NNBTS Batch 34
- What Peter Obi Said When Asked What Is The Difference Between Him And Atiku In Terms Of Ideology
- BREAKING NEWS IN NIGERIA TONIGHT
- BREAKING NEWS IN NIGERIA THIS MORNING MONDAY 26TH SEPTEMBER 2022
- Why Is That When It’s The Turn Of South East, They Realised Zoning Arrangement Won’t Work?- Farotimi
- Shehu Sani Reveals What He Saw After Visiting One Of The Deserted Stations Of The Abuja-Kaduna Train
- 2023 Election: Northern Elders Forum Will Not Vote Based On Where A Candidate Comes From – Baba-Ahmed
- I Was Told That Even After Awolowo Was Stoned In Aba, He Urged Yorubas To Work With Igbos – Farotimi
- Unidentified Lady Steals An 8-Day-Old Baby From Bauchi Hospital After Disguising Herself As A Staff
- Your Mental Help Needs Rest & Repair – Chacha Eke tells Mr. P, Blessing CEO & Others React
- ASUU/FG Face-off: Litigation, Recipe For Long-drawn Battle — Parents, NANS
- Joe Igbokwe Replies Man Who Said Arrested Abuja Kidnapper, Iyon Is A Member Of The APC
- Black Sunday: Deadly Accident In Lagos Claimed The Lives Of Seven Persons
- A Prostitute And Her Customer Were Found Naked At The Site Of The Lagos Building Collapse— Official
- BREAKING NEWS IN NI GERIA THIS MORNING SATURDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER 2022
- What I Did When An African Leader Amended The Constitution To Extend His Tenure- Obasanjo
- 2023 Presidentcy: Apex Igbo Body Reveal Why They Have Not Endorsed Peter Obi
- A 37-Year-Old Man Was Arrested For Locking His Girlfriend In A Hotel Room And Sexually Molested Her
- 13 States PDP Has Never Lost In Presidential Elections Since 1999
- Npower Latest News On Payment of July, August & September Stipends Today Saturday, September 24, 2022
Politics2 weeks ago
Soludo Reveals The People Behind The Attack On Ifeanyi Uba
Breaking News2 weeks ago
Festus Keyamo Reacts To Video Of Tinubu Bending Down To Greet Orji Uzor Kalu’s Mother
Education4 months ago
Aksu Student, Idara S€xtape Surface Online (Watch full Video)
Politics4 weeks ago
Bola Tinubu, Shettima And Lalong Hold A Meeting At APC National Secretariat [Photos]
Breaking News2 weeks ago
The International Leader Of Fulani, Emir Sanusi Holds meeting With UN Assistant Secretary [Photos]
Breaking News3 weeks ago
Many Told Us The SE Can Never Go The Way Of The NE -Aisha Says As Insecuty Gripples SE
Breaking News5 months ago
2023: Primate Ayodele reveals Names of Aspirants that won’t be President [LIST]
Breaking News4 weeks ago
Wike Tackles Atiku, Insist PDP National Chairman Must Resign